Monday, January 21, 2008

Ginger Snaps Taste Test

When the urge hits for store-bought cookies and milk, I generally don't go for Oreos or Chips Ahoy. No, my number one preference is most often the lowly ginger snap.

Years ago, there were some wonderful versions available of these small, hard, sweet and slightly spicy cookies that softened beautifully in lightly warmed milk, going from military crisp to melt-on-the-tongue creamy soft in mere seconds. The biggest disappointments were the ones that would simply disintegrate and float down in ugly, unhappy mealy bits to the bottom of the glass. The best of the lot, though, would hold together just long enough for you to lift the cookie gently from the milk, flip your wrist and quickly wrap your lips around the cookie (and the tips of your fingers) to catch stray drips of milk. Then, you get the trifecta of texture -- milk-softened edges, chewy center and a tiny crispy bit that remained dry between your dunking fingers.

I recently had a Ginger Snap moment and ran to the store to pick some up. This only happens about every other year or so, and I was disheartened to find that the traditional paper-bag style was gone from the shelves. I don't even remember the brand, just that the bag was light brown and printed with "Ginger Snaps" in dark brown, old-fashioned script.

What to do? None of the choices scattered along the cookie aisle were familiar, though the brand names were. Being in a decadent mood, I decided to try three of the choices and do a comparison. So, I dutifully picked up a box each of the Giant Eagle and Nabisco brands, and a bag of Archway. And, I have the perfect excuse -- I need share my findings in the blog!

When I got home, guilt set in. What would Brian think about this? It certainly looked as if I was having some sort of mega-craving, instead of simply wanting to conduct a slightly less-than-scientific experiment. Later, when he wandered into the livingroom, where I had the three samples lined up on the table with a glass of warm milk in front of me, he simply shook his head and sighed. Good man, that one.

I smiled, tried (and failed) to explain what was behind this show of excess, and set about my task with relish. Next up? Results and photos! -- Yes, I'm determined to figure out how to download from my little camera and then upload to this site. Wish me luck!

No comments: